Thursday, November 27, 2008

Three points of Contact and Keep your Mind on your Work...



And speaking of snow,

A sleeting, freezing weekend called for a change in plans last weekend. I had planned for a drive to the French border to walk through a Roman walled city. But walking through sleet with three children was enough for even me to say no.

Instead, we went to kid nirvana that happens to be only 5 kilometers away and indoors. It's called Sensopolis, and, if you're under 25, we can't wait to take you there; if you're over 25 and still like slides, we'll still take you there! t could be called Slide Land. It has a 40-foot shoot (the photos at the top are the shoot at the top--you're at the top right looking down-- and a blurry Andy at the bottom), slides that send you shooting all over a space ship. Wide slides that you can hold ands and go down as a family, curly slides that make you feel like you're riding down a slinky.


It has a six-floor ball pit complete with cannons and a vacuum that sends the foam balls flying. The ball pit is guarded by a giant dragon slide that empties people at the entrance. It as a science floor with all the cool science stuff, a pirate ship... and food that you are actually glad to eat.

For me, the best part was a suspended ropes course. From the bottom looking up, it looked great. I had lots of time to think about how great it really was when I was up at the top, looking down from 60 feet at an unforgiving floor, waiting for my turn. I had a while to wait because the ropes attendant had to go out and pull two people off when they got stuck or just were too frightened to go on any more. While I was hanging out in my harness, trying not to look down, a Marine-looking guy finished the course and gave me a thumbs up.

"How is it?" I asked.
In drill-Sargent mode, he answered,"Piece of cake. Maintain three points of contact at all times and keep your mind on your work."

That became my mantra as I, barefooted (I had left my shoes at the bottom and didn't want to go down to get them), stretched my toe to reach the next dangling log.


Here is a view of the course looking up from the ground. Those tiny things up there are people.


We had a blast of a Saturday. Micah fell asleep in the car and didn't wake up until Sunday morning.

2 comments:

Angie said...

PIPER! You gotta take me! (And Brett, of course...) Every new post from you guys is another reason to visit. I am so jealous!!

prmarko said...

Way cool! I remember one of the best days of my life was spent at a freitzheitpark (I'm sure I butchered that) near Mosel. The Germans are light years ahead of us in the fun-playgrounds-for-all-ages department!!!

I'm glad to hear that you, Andy and the family are adapting well and enjoying all that Germany has to offer. (I hope you have been out volksmarching)

B/r, ~Patrick