Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Years

Day 26 without internet. My symptoms are beginning to stabilize. The headaches and nausea have faded and the uncontrollable urge to check cnn.com every 10 minutes is abating. I did break down last night to go to a local internet hotspot to download the Doctor Who Christmas special. Unfortunately, the connection was too slow. I returned empty handed to my cave with no freshly killed meat to present to my wife.

Tonight is New Years eve. I'm looking forward to it with waxing curiosity. Multiple, reliable sources tell me that the Germans are crazy about fireworks and that I'm in for a show. I mentioned to a co-worker that I might let the kids stay up to watch the craziness and she laughed at me. Apparently, things will be too loud for us to have any choice in the matter. Possibly that explains why fireworks are for sale in every local supermarket. And not just the little bitty ones. They sell the heavy artillery that you can only get in the US on Indian reservations.

We leave this weekend to go skiing in Austria. We are promised that Internet and telephone will be hooked up upon our return. We hope to publish a backlog of photos and updates then.

Wishing you all every good blessing in the New Year.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Happy New Year's to you all! I hope you can get pictures of the fireworks. And best of luck with the internet access. I miss y'all's more regular postings!

domandkat said...

We have downloaded the Dr. Who Christmas special, but have been waiting to watch it so that we can discuss it with ya'll instead of scooping you. I think we can wait just a little while longer ;-)

Have fun skiing! and I guess I should wish you a SAFE New Year's Eve! Enjoy the spectacle!!!

Love you guys -

K@