Sunday, May 31, 2009

Maddie Merrick Diving

I mentioned in an earlier post that Maddie won't do a forward dive but will do a back dive. I also promised video. Silly me.

It turns out that acquiring video of Maddie's back dive is equivalent in difficulty to capturing Mr. Snuffleupagus on film. If you're not familiar, I offer a piece of personal history. Snuffy debuted as Big Bird's invisible friend and wasn't actually seen until the halcyon days of Sesame Street had passed me by and I was firmly entrenched in gradeschool sweatshops (or maybe it was later). I didn't actually learn that he had a physical existence until I was an adult and had moved onto the Muppets and Fraggle Rock. Once again, I digress.

Back to Maddie. It turns out that she'd much prefer to swim around (preferably underwater) and torment her brother than practice her dive for posterity. This may jeopardize her Olympic career but we'll get over it.

The clip below is the only video I have. Her technique was better during some unfilmed sightings.


2 comments:

Kate Kelly said...

as a cannon-ball jumper only--I must say that I am most Impressed by Ms Maddie's back flip!

Look at your blog often---always enjoy it. Hello from your Kelly relatives. Luv Y'all--Kate

Beth said...

Yea for Maddie!

As a big sister, I must say that it is OFTEN more tempting to torment one's younger brother than do almost anything else.