Wednesday, July 14, 2010

World Cup detox

I got a little excited about the World Cup this year. Some would say that I went off-the-deep-end bonkers. I retort that the face paint and nail polish come off (eventually), and I can use the shirts to run in. I find myself perusing YouTube late into the night looking for video good scores or memorable misses.

The business reporter part of me will miss the Tim Howard-like stretch of German companies to get a soccer ball on their product.
--Soccer balls on shampoo bottles (to wash out all the temporary hair dye).
--Special WC savings accounts offered at the banks.
--Bakeries selling pound cake dyed like the German flag
--hard boiled eggs at the grocery store dyed either like the German flag or decorated like soccer balls.
--"Half-time snack packs" of yogurt: tapioca, chocolate and strawberry.
--Soccer car flags as a special give-away at restaurants.
--The South Africa WC logo on shopping bags.

My favorite was at a sushi stand: soccer balls made from round rice balls with bits of nori

It was great to support the US and German teams. I wish I could have done so longer. But it's over now and four years is a long time. I'll have to stop wandering aimlessly through the halls looking for the schedule for the next game. It's a good thing the Bundesliga starts soon...

No comments: