Saturday, June 27, 2009

Endless Light

In my minds eye, Germany always looked like Pennsylvania. Only quainter with cottages, clocks and lederhosen. I've shifted my mental comparison to Maine. Without the lederhosen. Sadly, German fashion has moved on.

This comparison is particularly true with the latitude. The sun is a constant reminder of how far north we are. This month, it rises around 5am. It's not dark again til 10:30. This has advantages. I can go jogging in the evening, my vitamin D count is up and informed sources tell me that the first offensive of the vampire apocalypse has been delayed until the fall. Unfortunately, it's wrecking havoc with my kids' bedtime.

Time was when I could have the kids to bed by 8:30 (as all good and right thinking parents do) and maybe read a book, watch TV or stare at the wall. This month, the sun is still high in the sky at that point and the troops refuse to budge. Last winter, Tess would be under the covers with her flashlight reading Harry Potter by 8:45. Now, flashlights aren't even required til well after 10:00.

I'm looking forward to the fall. Vitamin D supplements aren't that expensive and there will be plenty of time to sharpen the wooden stakes after the kids are in bed.

No comments: