Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Reader Survey: Voldemort is Dying

We weren't going to let Tess read Harry Potter until she was a bit older. Too dark for a 9 year old. Too scary. We're too protective. You get the idea.

Last winter, we caved and let her read the first one because all of her friends were doing it. Also, if we'd waited any longer, one of her friends would have told her that Voldemort was Harry's father and that would have spoiled the whole thing.

Tess is now starting the last book. Soon and very soon, Voldemort will be dead and it will be time for her to move on to something different.

Hence my survey. What should she read next. She's read the Narnia books a zillion times. Most of the Little House books. Everything ever written with the words "American Girl" in the title and more than enough Nancy Drew's to be bored with that formula.

So please weigh in, dear readers, with your recommendations. Her literary hunger cannot be sated.

6 comments:

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

Abby really liked The Mysterious Benedict Society--there are at least two, maybe three books in the series.
--Amy Ransom

Alison said...

I had read The Hobbit a dozen times by age 10 but didn't know of the existence of LOTR until about 12.

Boys like Artemis Fowl books, but it sounds like those won't take her long.

Beth said...

Anne McCaffrey has some kids books that lead into the Dragon-riders books.

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH? The Great Brain books? White Fang? Call of the Wild? Caddie Woodlawn? Wolves of Willoughby Chase? Midnight is a Place?

I don't know! Those were all books I loved when I was young, but I can't remember exactly how old I was when I read them. And probably none of those are books y'all haven't already considered given who my partner in reading was as a child. :)

domandkat said...

I recommend "Heart of Darkness" by Conrad.
Hope this helps - Dominic

Unknown said...

Hi Andy!
There are great booklists on some homeschool sites. Sonlight.com and veritaspress.com are excellent. Phantom Tollbooth is our all time favorite - very tame not as scarey as the title suggests. City of Ember series - A wrinkle in Time (4 books in that series I think)- Indian in the Cupboard Series - Rabbit Hill - Kildee House - Pushcart War - The Littles Series - A Cricket in Times Square (very good!) - Evan loves the Redwall Series (18 very long books) - I'll stop but I could go on!
Enjoy your trip!
Carolyn

the Mosers said...

Our family has enjoyed listening to the book "Holes" and also "From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler"

I saw that Amy won, so I'll have to check out the ones she suggested! I got to glance through your blog looking for this post.

We miss your family!