Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Key Chain is Nekkid

So I sold my faithful Honda yesterday. I was happy to see it go after a week of increasing neurosis about driving it. By the end, I had developed a complex that I was going to break it or wreck it right before the sale.

This morning, we shipped Piper's car out of the Port of Baltimore. I spent much of my misplaced youth in the Coast Guard hanging out in port facilities. None of that prepared me for the vast asphalt jungle of the Baltimore Marine Terminal. The happpy sights of capitalism were everywhere -- concrete stretched for miles and fleets of cars were parked everwhere. Every kind of wheeled vehicle in every kind of condition. I wish we'd brought Micah. It was little boy power tool heaven.

My key chain now consists of two keys to our house (arguably our rentor's house now) and a key to a bike lock that I'm hoping I remembered to pack. If I forgot, every key on it could be irrelevant. I'll keep carrying it anyway. I couldn't stomach the insecurity that would arise if I didn't have it in my pocket.

Tomorrow I go to work. Thursday, we board a flight at noon, change planes in Atlanta and fly direct to Stuttgart. We land Friday. We start work and school on Monday. Somewhere in between will be copious amounts of sleep.

3 comments:

Dominic Christison said...

Wow, that must be a pretty weird feeling...
Kat and I are excited for you and will be praying that a little of the kid-like excitement you might just need in the next few days will surface amidst the adult anxiety. Oh and get some sleep too!
Dominic

domandkat said...

K@ here - did you find a place to stay in Stuttgart yet? Man, talk about jumping in with both feet - or rather all 10 feet! We are praying mightily for you guys. You rock!

Angie said...

ANDY-O! I totally relate to the keychain nekkidness... And the wishing Micah had been in Baltimore... a boy's life is so very BOY!
Love you all SOMUCH!SOMUCHSOMUCH!
Angie-o
P.S. for Tess: Thank you for inviting me into the O's, Dear Tessie-o. I will forever be an honorary Fordham because of you!