Thursday, September 25, 2008

Out and About








We've had a great few days in Sindelfingen. I had my first Monday without kids in almost nine years. I wandered through the old part of Sindelfingen--400 years old-- and learned the word for lunch. Transliteration Middle day eat. It took me a mere 10 minutes to order lunch as I didn't know the word for "savory" in German and wanted to make sure I wasn't getting a pastry for lunch. Sindelfingen was heavily bombed during the War. There is one part of the original village still standing. It's a beautiful part of the town with window boxes everywhere.


Sindelfingen used to be one of the wealthiest cities in Germany with the Daimler Corp. here. Thus the white marble crosswalks. Now it's not so good, though the corporation is still the economic heartbeat of the city.


I talked to a safety engineer at breakfast this morning. He works on different materials to make a car safer on impact. He gets to design cars and then smash them into walls: Micah's ultimate job. He said it was fun to smash things like Smart Cars. "But the Ferraris... oh, that hurts to see."



Here are the kids hanging out in Klostersee park. We go through the park on our mile walk home from school.

4 comments:

domandkat said...

Positively gorgeous!

Brad & Stacey said...

Welcome to Europe!

Unknown said...

I love the photos....

please tell us more abt school, housing, etc...

love you

BradB said...

I love the blog. Germany looks fantastic too.