Friday, October 3, 2008

Adoption

Our family gets stared at a lot here.

I took for granted how common adoption is in the States. There, we get some curious looks, but here we get out and out stares from Germans. It starts from about 20 feet away when we are passing people on the street, and they lock in on us. When I look back, they're still staring at us...

Turks have an even stronger reaction. Today at lunch was a common. We were having lunch at a kebab restaurant (yummy!) and a Turkish family came and sat next to us. They stroked his hair and patted his cheek and made a general fuss over him. They look at me, questioning. I've learned to say, "He is adopted from Thailand" in German. "Ah, yes. Thailand." They say. The conversation stops, but the family kept looking at us as Micah manhandled his pasta into his mouth.
.http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1719148,00.html

1 comment:

spronch said...

That was a really strange article. If that begins to capture the general attitude of adoption in Germany, I can only imagine what you're facing. The attitude that a decline in adoptions is good because less children are taken away from their natural parents is, well, horrifying. I hope it's just one person's opinion. Very different than the excitement and congratulations I get when we talk about our plans to adopt.