Saturday, October 11, 2008

Housing

The Stuttgart housing market continues to disappoint.

Last night, we were informed by the owner of a local house that we were not chosen to rent their house. We had called them, e-mailed them, sent them pictures of our family, and dressed our kids up for the final audition (er, home inspection). Generally speaking, we pandered in every way possible. Only now I learn that there were other ways of pandering that I didn't know of. Somebody please tell me what we left out.

In recognition of our efforts, we got a succinct note that we were not chosen to rent their house. To be fair, there were a few other German familes that were also interested although that didn't come on the scene til several days after we had approached the owners.

I think that our nationality, coupled with the large size of our family (3 kids is alot for Germany) worked against us.

Or perhaps it was the fact that I hadn't had my hair cut in 3 weeks and didn't wear clean socks. I get insecure about these things and overanalyze. The stress of all this rejection is reminding me why I didn't date in high school.

Today, Pipe and I put the kids down for naps and spent a quality romantic German Saturday afternoon reading German real estate postings to decide just how far we should lower our standards.

Pretty far, we concluded.

More to come.

2 comments:

Piper said...

To be fair, I don't think our issue there was one of nationality. This family had lived in the US, and he has worked for American companies his whole career.
Instead, they wanted to find a family that would do all the work on the house. They mentioned often how disappointed they were in the previous tenants because they didn't trim the trees, wax the woodwork and other home chores associated with a 100-year-old home.
If someone else waxed eloquent about how they loved to spend the weekend with a screwdriver and nail gun, they probably would have gotten the house over us. We have a 100-year-old house and know what it takes to keep it up.

domandkat said...

We are praying! I pray for your housing difficulties every time you all come to mind, Emily has you guys on her prayer list at school, our community group is praying for you... so KNOW that God's got something super special for you. WAIT is such a four letter word! Bet God planned that it would be too! Sure seems appropriate...

We will keep praying...but if you end up wearing dirndls and leiderhosen to get a house, I definitely want to see a picture :-)