Saturday, October 11, 2008

Other Huckle

Other Huckle -- for those of you who aren't indoctrinated into the oral mythology of 5fordhams -- is the name of Maddie's imaginary friend. Other Huckle should not be confused with Huckle. Huckle is merely a stuffed dolphin toy (a Common Dolphin to be precise). Other Huckle is the mythical embodiment of all manner of competence to a 5 year old.

Case in point. This morning over breakfast, Maddie informed me that Other Huckle could hold his breath for a million years just like aquaman.

...the aquaman reference surprised me. I think that Piper has been letting the kids watch Justice League clips on youtube to indulge their Wonder Woman fetish (reference my earlier post on that topic). I digress.

Back to breakfast. Maddie added, after reverent silence, that Other Huckle could also balance a plate on one finger forever. I didn't point out that Other Huckle did not have fingers since Other Huckle's race, age and origins are somewhat flexible. Usually Other Huckle is a dolphin -- albeit a dolphin with occasional fingers, legs or toes. Further relationships are murky.

At various times, Other Huckle has been Huckle's Mother, brother and sister. Other Huckle has also been older and younger than Maddie. I recall the halcyon days of 2007 when Maddie was briefly Other Huckle's mother. Or perhaps, now that I think about it, she was merely Huckle's mother... I confess that the finer details confuse me.

Anyway, Other Huckle is quite an influential member of the 5fordhams household. He/She participates in all manner of mischief. At least, he's blamed by Maddie for many of the things that go wrong around here. Maddie also consults her inner Other Huckle when she's faced with the hard choices of life. Grilled cheese, Mac'n Cheese or Hot Dogs? "I fink that Other Huckle likes Hot Dogs."

WWOHD.

The good news is that Other Huckle appears to be enjoying Germany. Last week I was informed by Maddie that Other Huckle spoke fluent German.

1 comment:

Angie said...

i wonder if other huckle was holding the scissors brett accidentally walked into the day he played at your house on cliveden ave...

i miss your kiddies! bbcg is not the same without the twirling and running and the quiet smile from across the room.