Sunday, October 19, 2008

Pumpkin festival at Ludwigsburg Palalce










Tess's thoughts on the pumpkin festival in Ludwigsburg:

It's surprising how small Ludwigsburg Palace
(and here)looks from the side entrance. We walked in the side gate and saw a large rose garden with a fountain in the middle. We thought it was nice, but small for palace grounds. 
Then we walked down the side of the palace and saw there were miles of gardens. We saw pumpkins that weighed more than Daddy. We saw pumpkins carved into animals. My favorite was a collection of pumpkins all carved to look like animals. We walked through the fairytale garden with small houses that had a story in them. We even saw Rapunzel's hair coming down from her tower.
We met some friends from school. We went to the cafe and they had pumpkin rice, pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread, pumpkin beer and pumpkin muffins. We played at the playground next to the food stands. We ran around all afternoon and then went home.

Piper here:
It's true.
We walked in the side gate of one of Germany's largest baroque palaces, and I thought, "nice roses." and that was about it. The grounds were pretty with sculpted beds and a fountain, but nothing to be overly thrilled with. We walked along the back and there was a tree-lined lane that lead to miles of some of the most beautiful grounds and gardens I have ever seen.
We have put it on our list of places to come back to and places to take visitors. It also soothed my soul to see the that the obsession with large vegetables goes beyond the borders of American state fairs. Though, I must say, no food on a stick here. Only pumpkin in everything you can think of. Thankfully none in my cappuccino. 


3 comments:

Angie said...

I wish I were there with you. I have been on a pumpkin craze lately: muffins (from Acme, Dunkin' Donuts, and homemade); donuts (from Daryl's), and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (from the recipe book, of course!). Rita's had a pumpkin pie cream ice for a while right before they closed for the season -- that was really good.

All that said, I am diggin' Tessie's hat. I wish I had whatever it takes to pull off a fab hat.

Miss you guys!
angie-o

Beth said...

No food on a stick? The mind boggles.

I, too, am digging Maddie's hat.

BradB said...

I love the pictures. It looks like you're really enjoying Germany.